How to get a faster time in your running
Hi, Here are some more tips on how to get a faster time in your running.
I would invite you to try a 400m intervals session once a week.
The purpose of this is to sharpen your speed up so you get used to running faster than you currently do.
Here are the steps
- Work out your max heart rate (MHR). I use a Garmin 910xt and a heart rate monitor. Loads of these 2nd hand on Ebay for £50.
Find a flat bit of pavement or ideally a track. Do a 5 min jog, then run as fast as you can for 4 mins starting slower and building to your max. My MHR is 185 bpm. See ref 1 below
- Work out 85% of your MHR. In my case, it’s 185 x 0.85 = 157
- Set your Garmin to custom intervals/then program this in
5 min warmup jog
400m at 85% MHR
2 min standing recovery
Repeat * 6
5 min cool down and static stretching
- Run and make sure you stay as close as you can to that 85% MHR during your intervals.
In the picture, you will see some green line peaks that look like shark’s teeth. These are where I’ve done my 6 x 400m intervals.
They are my pace which averaged 3.30 min/k pace. My aim over the season will be to get that pace faster.
- Now you get out there and do it yourself. Let me know how you get on and if you like this please share this to your friends.